Sunday, April 6

...funny tails...

On Friday Lola and I did our usual perusing of the Union Square Farmer's Market and obtained a couple of chocolate chip cookies. We plopped down on a bench and I, of course, devoured mine pretty quickly. Lola began to throw little bits of her cookie for the birds, which swarmed immediately. I suggested that birds should probably not eat chocolate, but she didn't seem to agree with me. Soon a couple of curious squirrels came over, as well as the mysterious pigeon boy who does not say much but held bread in his hand while the birds landed on him. I couldn't really tell if he was a real person or just some sort of interesting spirit. Anyway...Lola hand-fed a piece of cookie to one of our squirrel friends. Well, he took a liking to it so much that he snuck up a minute later and snatched the remaining half cookie out of Lola's hand and took off! We watched him nibble on it delicately in a flower bed, turning it around and around in his T-Rex style hands. Then he got a good grip on it with his mouth and scurried up the neighboring tree. Lola claimed she didn't like the cookie much anyway. I know she was just thrilled to have such close contact with the animal she has been talking about wanting for a pet for days.

...mythical birds...

Last night we did the most unusual for us...we went to a pub (Peter McManus - or McManus' as it is known to insiders- to be exact) to watch the Jayhawks humiliate Marquette. Adam K. and I got a head start on drinking while waiting for Jer to show up from work. It was a good time. We enjoyed the game, but mainly got caught up in talking, eating simple pub food, and drinking beers and cider. The only drawback was that McManus' reffered to french fries as...da da duh...freedom fries. Sigh. The Jayhawks were...great! Will they win on Monday? Will Roy Williams stay on as coach? Why does Kirk Hinrich look like a Beastie Boy? We shall soon find out...well, probably not about Kirk. Anyway...I'm not even a KU alum (but 3 of my grandparents and both of my parents are) but I must say I have a spot in my heart reserved for KU basketball.

No comments: