Monday, February 10

...i'm free...

Singin' a song, la la la, my Mondays are free! Another day to dream, draw, hang out, enjoy leasurely coffee mornings and write. I think I have the most ideal living in New York work schedule now. There is absolutely no reason to be in a bad mood about anything!

"Quilts contain volumes of cultural information about the times in which they were created and the circumstances in which they were used. Each one can tell us about the lives of the people associated with it." - from History from the Heart - E.Duane Elbert & Rachel Kamm Elbert
Tiny voiced Sara and I went to the Whitney on Saturday primarily to view the show on the quilts of Gee's Bend, Alabama. They are great! All the materials are from old clothes, leftover courdoroy scraps from when the women were hired by Sears and Roebuck in the 70s to make pillows, and any scrounged fabric imaginable whether stained or not. I saw one that had pieces from those classic, cheap (i.e. dorm mattresses) blue-striped mattresses! There were even rust traces on it. Beautiful. In the documentary they showed of the women, they would occassionally comment on how their quilts were not like those fancy quilts you see...their's are not perfects squares with elegant top stitching, and store-bought fabrics or even always traditional patterns. I think both kinds are wonderful. Quilts can be anything! Make them however you want!
So...that show was excellent, as was the stuff from the Whitney's permanent collection that was on display. I was surprised every time I rounded a corner. The best part is that working at the Dia we get a card that gets us into any museum (not just art) in all bouroughs for free! Plus we can bring a guest for free too! Woo-hoo! I want to take full advantage of that and I will! I can't believe I have been so lacadasical (spelling?) about getting out-and-about!

So...I have been having a lot of political talks lately, as I am sure many people have been. I am discovering more and more that most people are against what is going on. Even my Mom is...not that she is normally pro-war at all, but most of the time she doesn't really take much of a stance, plus she is a registered Republican and votes as such. She is much more like the old Kansas Republicans though, who actually weren't super-right, plus cared about funding education, etc. I think this is going to be about the only time I address any of this on this site. I like to keep this as a place of the little details in life, and things that are ultimately good (at least for me.) So...in case you are wondering why this is a place that seems to not care about the state of the world, that is why (not that I think anyone who may read this is thinking that.)

Hmmm...I feel like I want to write more, but I'm not sure what about...it's probably best to quit for now. Hoping all is well...

No comments: