Friday, April 22

...serene siren...

Last night we had our first tornado sirens of the season! I was at work, which is basically a glass box except the bathroom, when they started screaming. Nothing usually hits inside the city, but I was a little concerned that they were actually going off. Outside things were tinted green, a bit on the still side, and the clouds did not look right. We went into the bathroom for about a minute, and then decided f-it...we can run in if we hear the deafening train-like roar (which is dumb...you usually only have about a minute warning to take cover!) A customer who came in after we left the bathroom made fun of me for being concerned. The sirens went on for ten minutes or so.
When I got home, I found a message on my cell phone from my Mom. It was from the same time the sirens were blaring. Apparently a police officer reported seeing a funnel cloud around 40th and Jefferson. For those who don't know, that is VERY close to where I work! In your face jerky customer. Did you not grow up in Kansas?!
The best was driving around town about sundown. The incoming night made the now long and smooth clouds appear like ocean water right before a storm.

Today is grey and the wind is propelling maple helicopters everywhere.
Soon I will be leaving to participate in the great inventory of '05. I know you must envy my Friday night of compulsory counting and re-counting.

No comments: